sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Trying to turn off air bag light on dash. 2012 Subaru

Customer Question

Trying to turn off air bag light on dash. 2012 Subaru Outback Wagon was in a left front end accident above the frame rail. Driver air bag deployed, two front seat belts locked up. Replaced driver wheel air bag, replaced two front seat belts, had the SRS
module repaired, the front impact sensor was not damage and left in place. Took the car to a Subaru dealer to clear crash codes and reset. They cleared codes and cleared the light. Immediately the same 9 codes reappeared (E2,E6,F2,EA,11,12,71,72,61) and the
air bag light remained. Dealer was not sure what it could be other than start checking every wire. Help
Category: Subaru
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
You may have a single issue or multiple wiring, airbag and sensor issues.
Some of these codes are for the left and right front and side impact sensors. These could be set by the sensors, their wiring, or the airbag module.
The rest of the codes are for the driver's airbag, passenger airbag, and right seatbelt pretensioner.
If the airbags have been replaced with new components then the problem is either with wiring or the airbag module. If impact sensors were not replaced it is possible that they needed to be, but there could also be a wiring there.
The dealer was correct in that the wiring to all of these components needs to be tested. If the components have been replaced and are still setting fault codes then there is either a wiring or module issue.
I expect the problem is with the airbag module. Replacing the airbag module with a new part is a required repair after deployment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I replaced the airbag module. All the codes disappeared except one. ODS Failure, DTS Status Current. The airbag light is still on. What next?
Was the occupant detection system calibrated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the ODS has not been calibrated. Can I do this or does a dealer have to do it? How do I know if the passenger front seat has to be replaced? In this accident the passenger airbag did not deploy but the passenger seat belt locked up. What next?
The next step will be to calibrate ODS with a scan tool. If what you're using doesn't have the capability then a shop or dealer with the appropriate scan tool will be necessary.