Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

The AWD light is flashing on my 2005 Outback. What is it?

Customer Question

Category: Subaru
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (akaCustomer and I look forward to helping you!”.This all-wheel-drive (AWD) transfer system uses a hydraulic multi-plate type clutch.The clutch is controlled by the TCM through a control valve.The TCM has in its memory a set of duty ratio data, each defining at what ratio the transfer clutch should transmit the torque for a particular driving condition. Based on the driving condition information it receives from the corresponding sensors (engine torque, vehicle speed, throttle opening, gear range, slip of wheels, etc.), the TCM selects an appropriate duty ratio from the memory and uses it to control the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve then regulates the pilot pressure of the transfer control valve, which creates the pressure to the clutch from the line pressure. The clutch is engaged to a degree determined by the transfer clutch pressure thus created. Through this process, the torque from the engine is distributed to the rear wheels optimally according to driving conditions.The issue can be a Sensor, the TCM, Clutch, wiring or ProgrammingWhen the AWD Light comes on, it stores "Trouble Codes" in the vehicle ComputerThe Trouble Codes can be retrieved via Dealer Scan Tool or equal that can read the AWD DATA.apprx 1 hour laborOnce the Trouble Codes are retrieved, this will tell you where the problem is & what is needed to repair.IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating..Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..Rating is very Important to our Service.