FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Subaru Outback 2.5I Basic: I purchased a used 2004 Subaru Outback

Customer Question

I purchased a used 2004 Subaru Outback with 122,000 miles on it two weeks ago. I noticed that the A/C would cut out after running for a few minutes (it would start blowing out regular air instead of cool air). I would turn off the A/C button, and wait one or two minutes, then turn it back on, and it would run okay for another few minutes. Then it would blow out regular air again.
I took it to the mechanic, who said that the system was low, but he could not spot any leaks, and the electronics seemed to be functioning okay. He recharged the system with refrigerant and put in some leak dye so that if there were a leak, it would be spotted by the next mechanic to look at it.
A week later I can say that I have driven the car over 300 miles with the air condition running and the vast majority of the time there are no issues whatsoever. But I have experienced (both when I got the car back from the mechanic, and again today) that the A/C has done the same intermittent short cycle thing a few times.
I'm wondering why the system would still be running short cycles if we just put a lot of refrigerant into it.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. It sounds like you have a bad pressure switch in the a/c system. If the switch fails then the compressor will not remain on as it should. It can also be caused by a failing temperature sensor. These need to be checked for the right output before anything else. I would suspect the pressure switch above the other.