Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Forester: I have a 2004 Subaru Forester. The rear disks

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Subaru Forester. The rear disks are rusty and obviously are not working. The proportioning valve was replaced with no change. I am assuming the master cylinder needs to be replaced. Am I missing something?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.The first thing you need to check is the sliding pins on the calipers and make sure the caliper pistons are free/move when you squeeze them in . The sliding pins need also to be free and well lubed. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the calipers are free to move when they are squeezed. It might be important to note that the pads do contact the rotors during heavy/emergency braking but don't seem to make any contact at other times. Brakes were bled recently when proportioning valve replaced. Everything seems to move freely.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there...do you have good oil pressure when open the rear caliper bleeders ,when bleeding the system ?Does your front brakes wear out faster then normal ?Do you drive this vehicle everyday ?Is this the first time you notice the rusty rotors ?Let me know.Tank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use a Motive Power Bleeder and the flow is about the same in the rear and front when bleeding.
I am pretty easy on brakes but there is more wear than normal since the rear brakes are basically not working.
This vehicle is a daily driver.
I noticed the rusty rotors about 1 month ago but I suspect they have not been working for a while.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ...if you have a good flow of brake fluid when bleeding the brake system I would try a set of decent rotors and a set o ceramic brake pads , the rust may be because of poor quality parts.I would try that first and if the problem starts again you bay be looking at new calipers and brake hoses. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.