tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Subaru Forester S: We put 10% ethanol gas in our 2000 forester

Customer Question

We put 10% ethanol gas in our 2000 forester yesterday , today the check engine light came on ad car stalled, now it won't start?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,this could be a variety of things,we need to start looking at the basics spark,fuel and compression. Since the car won't run looking at these thing I mentioned is the best place to start unless you can get your hands on a code reader,If you can get the code I can help you narrow it down easier,thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spark plugs , all fluids good , seems like fuel gummed up and now it won't turn over , we are camping , had it towed to our campsite , no Subaru mechanic or autozone in the area , need to get it started
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
When the car turned over did it sound different,like it was turning over faster?Is the battery fully charged now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it did seem like it started faster and was accelerating faster, I had to hit the gas to bring the idle down , we already tested the idle control valve and that's operating correctly , when it died today it began to decelerate on it's own and when I got the the side of the road it just quit , haven't been able to start it since, battery is fully charged
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
So the engine will crank over ?do you have any starting fluid or carb cleaner around I know your camping but i would like to see if by spraying this into the air intake we can get the car to start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we have tried carb cleaner and starting fluid (we have some in our rv) it's cranking but not turning over
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Ok great,while the engine is turning over is there spark?Remove a plug attach it to the wire and place on something metal, you should see the spark plug spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're going to try that now ... Will let you know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark , so what should we do?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Ok,no spark could be a few things,possible crank or cam sensor,the timing belt may have broken causing the lack of spark,a wiring problem or the ignition coil may be at fault,was the check engine lamp on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the check engine lamp came on right before the car stopped running
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
There isn't a lot you could do without diagnostic equipment ,except change parts out unfortunately.If you have a 10mm socket /wrench you could remove the cambelt cover on the drivers side its 3 bolts to take it off you may be able to tell if the cambelt broke .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had to replace valve seals about a year ago , something similar occurred but car didn't quit totally just ran rough , there's wet oil on the spark plugs , does that help to narrow it down ? We have 10mm socket checking cam belt now
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
thats most likely fuel soaking plugs because of no spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we're going to give it a rest for the night and check the cambelt in the morning , thank you for your help!
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Ok kick back and relax,your welcome