Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Subaru Impreza: I have a 2006 subaru impreza, just puchased

Customer Question

I have a 2006 subaru impreza, just puchased it 3 weeks ago. Drove to work today and it just acted funny, sluggish, it stalled out and completely died at a stop sign, had to jump it to get it going again. Drove it right home, still acted funny, sluggish as if it wanted to stall again. When we got home it would not go into park. Once it died, then we could put it into park???
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Did you have any lights on the dash on when it was running?Possibly the battery and brake lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery, and abs lights came on after we jumped it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok,It sounds like the alternator has stopped charging the battery. This will cause the car to die because after a short time the battery can't run or power the system anymore. If you can get it running, a parts store will test the battery and the alternator for you at no charge. If not, then you could remove the alternator and have it tested.I am sure the issue is with the charging system, however it's a good idea to have the battery tested as well. Sometimes a weak battery will cause the alternator to charge to much and can ruin it early.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you with this.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.