Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Forester LX: Mike my 1999 forester won t start,

Customer Question

Hi Mike
my 1999 forester won t start, my mechanic says the key has lost its memory and I need a replacement key which has to be programmed to work with the immobilser. Any thoughts. Thanks
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
In most cases if the engine cranks over briefly and stops this is a immobilizer issue,is this the case or does it just crank and not fire,are there any lights on the dash while the vehicle is being started,security etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. Spoke with him earlier is convinced is like you wrote 'the immobilizer'. How can we get the code for the key. The dealer here seems unable to do it
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Here in the States the dealer can get the code by submitting the VIN and only the dealer ,the owner must show proof of ownership to be able to attain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you get the codes for me?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Sorry,I am not authorized to do this,plus the vehicle is from a different country and the VIN #'s would not work.The immobilizer was first introduced in the 2004 model STI in the U.S.The only suggestion I have is to call Subaru the customer care number for your country would be located in the owners manual,thanks