George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

Soft clutch pedal after replacing clutch, pressure plate, flywheel,

Customer Question

Soft clutch pedal after replacing clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch master cylinder, and clutch slave cylinder. Thoughts?
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System has been bled repeatedly, as well. Replacement clutch kit was an OEM-style (non high-performance) by Exedy. This is for a 2002 Subaru Impreza TS wagon (2.5L, non-turbo). Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Does the clutch actually work and let out at the proper height? Is it just that the pedal feel is not correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clutch works (i.e., am able to change gears smoothly) and actuates at the correct height within the pedal travel. The clutch pedal is very soft and does not return well, resistance is comparable to when there is a hydraulic leak.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
A new clutch will feel like there is nothing there for a few days then it will firm up.
I don't think you have an air problem if it lets out consistently and you can shift smoothly.
Everything is lubed up at this point and it takes a couple of days for it all to seat in.
Let me know how I can help you with your question
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll drive it for a few days then, to see what happens. I was under the impression the pressure plate should be returning the clutch pedal to it's starting position, which I didn't think would vary with time. I'll respond if the problem does not improve over the next several days.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The pressure plate springs should be moving the pedal back up. It does not come up against the stop?
Give it a day or two and see if it is slipping at all and releases in the same place every time (repeat-ability at stop lights).
I am usually surprised each time I install a clutch how little feel there is right away.
Please let me know what happens and how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, George. I drove the car several times of the weekend, but did not notice an appreciable change in pedal stiffness or pedal return. Any other thoughts on what it could be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*several times over the weekend
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
It should have stabilized by now, does it still let out properly and get you through all the gears?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but could you be more specific regarding "still let out properly"? I can shift through all of the gears, but the pedal offers a very soft resisting pressure with a soft return (pedal does not necessarily return all the way up).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The soft resisting pressure is felt when I'm depressing the clutch pedal.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You know how a properly operating clutch will be repeatable and you count on where it releases in stop and go traffic or at stop lights? That is proper operation but if you are feeling it let out at different places then you do need to go chasing a problem. The clutch pedal does not come up all the way sometimes? I know you said this at first but if it is still going on I think you need to find out if the clutch springs are moving back out every time. It has to come apart again. Let me know if I am understanding you Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clutch is engaging consistently at the same point (near the floor). The clutch pedal return will sometimes stop approximately 2/3 of the way through its return motion to its starting point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the transmission is removed again, how can the pressure plate and clutch springs be tested to see if they are returning properly? When you refer to the clutch springs, do you mean the springs located on the clutch disc itself, or the "fingers" on the pressure plate?Thanks in advance.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like it is a normal feel and consistent. The not returning to the rest is the problem. That can only happen if the springs were not moving all the way back. Was there any trouble getting the clutch replaced? Fitting the TO to the fingers or fitting the trans to the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response.Replacing the clutch seemed to go smoothly. I didn't notice any problems with fit between the throw-out bearing and the pressure plate or with fitting the transmission to the engine. I even pulled the transmission back out a couple of weeks ago (before contacting justask.com) to inspect the fit and alignment. Everything appeared in order.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I don't know for sure what the problem is without pulling it apart and inspecting the parts and the installation. It could be a poor clutch kit, they make a lot of them and I use them without issue but new parts are never considered good until they have proven to operated as designed. For now you say it is NOT slipping and seems to shift normally so I would drive it for a couple of weeks to see if it changes. Worst thing is there is something wrong with the parts and you would have to take it apart again in any case to replace those so driving to see if it settles in will not be any more labor. If you push the release lever with a broomstick to push the slave piston back and have a helper with their hand pressing the pedal is there a solid connection between the two? I know you said you bled it for a long time. That would let you feel for any air but it sounds like a problem with the TO mounting or the springs in the pressure plate to me. Let me know how I can help Thank you