Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Customer Question

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited model. Can you tell me if the oil consumption problems involve this model or have they been fixed.
Chris hordal
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
The 3.6 engine was not involved in the oil consumption problem,it was 12-13 and some early 14's Legacy,Impreza and Forester with the FB 2.0 and 2.5 4 cylinder models the 3.6 is a strong engine,thanks for your time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd read in Consumer Report this month that the Outback and the 3.6 had also been identified as part of the oil consumption issue.
Chris
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,from my knowledge the FB2.0and 2.5 were the only engines involved,mostly because these engines use 0W-20 oil,the 3.6 uses 5W-30 oil,I can confirm no problems so far in 2015 FB engines so far,but honestly no oil consumption in the 3.6 which has been out since they first used it in the 2008 Tribeca.