tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Subaru Baja Turbo: I have a 2005 subaru baja with 2.5 turbo.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 subaru baja with 2.5 turbo. The other day it started making a clunking noise and pulling hard to the right. The pulling seems worse under braking but the noise is worse under acceleration. It has new axle and cv joints on the front end. There is a small amount of oil leaking out of the transaxle on the right side. Is it possible that the differential in the axle is going bad. The noise starts on the left front side but once it is warm both sides start making the clunking noise.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
It is possible it has a failed differential side bearing. Since you have already been under there, the way to check the diff bearings is to grasp the inner cv joint on one side and move it up and down, if the opposite CV joint moves then you have bad diff bearings, try this on both front axles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't seem to be the problem. I cant get any movement from one to the other. They feel very tight.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Good, have you checked for play at the tie rod ends where they go into the rack, especially wear the torn boot is, you may need to raise the car for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I dont see any movement there either. Its very strange, As loud as the clunking is I would expect to be able to get some movement out of something.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
If you grasp the engine and try to move it back and forth and side to side, how much does it move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My guess would be around 3/16 of an inch each direction
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to opt out and see if one of our other experts has an idea, someone should pick up the question shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,maybe I can help.Aseized brake caliper can create clunking and pulling it's possible the left caliper can be the culprit has this been checked?