Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT: I own a Forester XT, the 2.5l

Customer Question

I own a Forester XT, the 2.5l 4 cal engine, 8500 miles. I'm getting under 20 mpg. The dealer says nothing can be done. Is this true?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Sadly there isn't a lot that can be done here. Low mileage has been a problem with these for a fairly long time. If you are sure the tire pressure is good, then you might be able to have them check and make sure there isn't any drag from the brakes causing low mileage.As the engine breaks in you might see some improvement on the fuel mileage but it will only be slight, possibly get up to 22 a gallon. Had the same problem one time with a brand new Baja turbo. Running a turbo isn't conducive to getting great gas mileage. Hopefully it will improve for you, but the dealer isn't lying to you. There isn't anything they can do with the computer settings or anything to improve the gas mileage for you.Sorry to bring bad news, but it's honest.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.