Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Subaru Impreza WRX: I cannot find the power window relay on

Customer Question

I cannot find the power window relay on my 2002 wrx. All of My power windows do not work
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have checked fuse SBF #6, Power is there and good. There is no power reaching any of the windows.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
HI there,If you look along side the fuse box inside the car, there are a bunch of relays. The 5th one down from the top is the window relay. You can try swapping it with one of the other relays and see if that helps. If not, then check the power window master switch for any power to it at all. All of the power for all the windows runs through the master switch.Please check it out and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked the relay, as well as swapped it with another along side it and nothing. Power is getting to it. The Master switch is not getting power at all
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you put a finger on it and see if there is a click on that relay when you turn the key on? So we can see if the relay is actually coming on or not?Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relay is coming on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a fuse in the fuse box that contributes power? How about the circuit-breaker, not sure if I have one on this car as I bought it almost completely stripped
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the green/black stripped wire is suppose to get power. You have to locate the break in this wire. I believe that you will find the break in the harness where it comes through the body into the door. I would open it up there and take a look. The ignition relay is the second power source for the relay and if it's coming on, it's a break in the wire between the relay and the door switch.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you with this.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you charge me when I haven't even found the solution to this problem yet? I already tested which wire is getting power and it is not the grn/blk wire, but the grn/white wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You have not been charged by me, I am only the expert trying to help. Now, you said you weren't getting power at the switch?Now you are? I don't get anything until you rate me 3-5 stars. I am looking at the wiring diagram for your car and according to that the green/black should be getting power at the switch with the key on. If it isn't, then you have a broken wire issue happening here. I am not showing the green/white wire on the power window diagram so this may be a wire for some other item. This I can't be sure of because I am only looking at the power window diagram, they are broken down based on the system we are looking at so it won't show me the other wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the solution to my answer. It was the circuit breaker. I took the plug that is supposed to plug into it and put 12v through it, then tried to power my windows, and it worked.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Well that's cool,kinda odd since it's in the system ahead of the relay so the relay shouldn't have been clicking, but still glad you located the problem.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to point out that my answer to your original question was pretty much spot on. Told you where the relay was.