Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru B9 Tribeca: , drove from Sac to Lake Tahoe and

Customer Question

Hello, drove from Sac to Lake Tahoe and going up over Sierra's traction control, check engine light are on and cruise control is flashing. No power going up summit and I am a single senior woman not sure what to do.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Is the check engine light also flashing or just the cruise light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cruise light flashing only, but check engine is on and traction control is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had it smogged a week ago and it passed without issues
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, those lights coming on is normal when the check engine light is coming on. The loss of power is our first concern. If you stop the car can you rev the engine in park or neutral to get power?I mean does the engine pick up speed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmmm, I haven't tried that so I will go do that now and get right back to you.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, just trying to pin down the area of the problem to see if we can do something from here is all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, I just started and left it in park....it idles at 1.5 and when I pushed the gas pedal it went up to 4.5......does that help?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it tells me that the issue is not with the throttle body.If you look at the air filter box you should see a sensor or harness connector there. This is the mass air flow sensor. I would like to have you unplug it and test drive the car to see if you get some power back.i assume you aren't near any parts stores or anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a Napa store near me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS....Mike it is so nice you are there to help for as a senior woman on a limited income this helps a lot.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you can give them a call they might have a code reader. That would help us a whole bunch because there are over 500 different reasons for the check engine light to come on.If I can possibly get the P code I can pin this down much better. Example of the code I need would be P0420I am very happy to help, it's nice of you to say!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will drive over there now and get back to you....thank you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good and you are very welcome!