Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Outback: I have a 2002 Subaru Outback and it won't start.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Subaru Outback and it won't start. The battery is charged and all the fuses have been checked. When the mechanic bypassed the ignition switch, it started. It definitely has to do with the security system. How can I get it to work. The fob works but does not shut off security system.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Is there an aftermarket security system installed on this car?
Have you removed the negative battery cable, turned the ignition on then reconnected the cable?
Let me know so I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a factory security system. Yes we tried taking the negative cable off, putting it in the in position then reconnecting and trying to start. Is there a reset button under the dash someone? Done blogs mention that there may be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We purchased this car with rear bumper damage. I jumped it to start it and take it to the auto body place with no problem. Parked it there and have not been able to start it again except by bypassing the ignition switch.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
So you can start it bypassing the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The guy at the body shop used a screwdriver on the starter celli oil and got it started so I could bring it home. Now it is doing the same thing. I followed the directions to reprogram the fob and it worked fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cellenoid
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, so only the start signal from the key is disabled, do you have a voltmeter to check the circuit if I guide you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In a couple of hours when I get home.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
That is fine, let me know when you are ready.
The white/black stripe wire comes from the switch and should be hot when the switch is turned to the start position.
Let me know what you find there and we can move on
Thanks