tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Subaru 1997 legacy outback AWD: Tamz, I own a 1997 legay

Customer Question

Hi Tamz, I own a 1997 legay wagon AWD and replaced the rear transmission, it was missing along with other parts when I purchased it, Now when I accelarate from staionary the car jacks and I believe the driveshaft hits the bottom of the car plus on hard accelleration the car pulls front end to the left but when I remove my foot from accelerator the whole back end leaps to the right? I see pitching rods in various kits but I do not believe I have them, is this my problem?
The gas milage is horrendous it revs 2800 at 50 mph too
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
, I own a 1997 legacy wagon AWD and replaced the rear transmission, it was missing along with other parts when I purchased it, Now when I accelerate from stationary the car jacks and I believe the drive-shaft hits the bottom of the car plus on hard acceleration the car pulls front end to the left but when I remove my foot from accelerator the whole back end leaps to the right? I see pitching rods in various kits but I do not believe I have them, is this my problem? The gas mileage is horrendous it revs 2800 at 50 mph too
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,thanks for your question.Sorry for the late reply.....long day,anyways can you be a little more specific about what was replace and what was missing,is the transmission manual or automatic?The pitch stopper is located under the hood it connects the transmission to the firewall if it's missing there would be a lot of problems like you've mentioned check it out and let me know,thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK automatic transmission, replaced everything we think, there was nothing except shocks hanging down and cut cables when I bought the car. Understand the Pitching stopper under hood. Not the issue, thanks.
My problem is I do not have photos or parts book pages showing exploded views of underside of the car. The Soob literally pulls to the left on hard acceleration then upon releasing my foot on accelerator the rear end literally leaps to the right! OK let's
figure out this one first Tamez, more questions to follow. I believe I am just missing some sort of securing device but I have no way of knowing. Cheers, Peter
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Please check engine mounts for the pull left on acceleration,do you think you can upload me a few pictures of the undercarriage?I think I could help better if i have a visual,thanks