Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru legacy outback: On a 1999 legacy outback with a 5 speed

Customer Question

On a 1999 legacy outback with a 5 speed trans. my idle will not reduce and stays at 2500 plus RPM's. I put 4 new injectors and replaced the idle control valve. It made no change in the problem! It still acts like its flooded on startup and uses a lot more gas. It also dies at some intersections or acts like it is barely getting fuel at times and only corrects it self when you switch off and on again; then it takes off with full power like you just rebooted the ECU, the ECU was also replace.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** sounds like a bad Coolant temp sensor, wwhen they go bad, it reads -40 degrees, and it will run very rich, and also cause the idle not to come down, have you pulled codes from the computer yet?