tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Subaru Legacy Outback: I have a 1999 Subaru legacy outback.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Recently started with a problem when I first start the car I get a AT Temp light flashing on my dash. If I try to drive the car it won't shift till the RPMs are about 3000, and then it snatches which I know can't be good for it. If I let the car run for about 10 minutes and then shut it off, and wait a minute and start it back up the light will go out, and it will shift normally,but I now have a Check engine light that I never had before.also the speedometer works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. As background on the car when I first bought the car (used) the transmission had a different problem-if the car was warm from driving it would back up but would not go forward till it cooled down.So I got a used transmission from a junk yard and changed it out. Has been working fine for about a year and then the speedometer started not working sometimes,so I pulled the wiring harness off the old transmission and put it on the new one,(I did not change any or the sencers from the old transmission),and it still only works sometimes so that did not help. Is it possible that if I change the sender's that it might correct the light problem? I have carried the car to a transmission shop here I Griffin ,Ga but they don't work on Subaru and had no clue either what was going on. Is this something you have run into before, and if so is it easily fixed? I am not up to changing out another transmission, once was enough. I would appreciate any help I can get, I hate to give up on the car it is so fun to drive.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,thanks for your question.This sounds like a VSS problem,the vehicle speed sensor #2 is located in the rear part of transmission and is part of the harness ,VSS #1 is located in the front differential and is removable,before anything remove VSS #1 and replace it to see if it makes a difference .This model year had big problems with speedo heads intermittently acting up so you may have 2 problems here that may not be related,replacing the speedo head was the fix 100% of the time.Thanks for your time.