Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

2004 subaru forester xs. Just performed the dreaded head gasket

Customer Question

2004 subaru forester xs. Just performed the dreaded head gasket change. Replaced the water pump, thermostat, timing belt/pulleys and the accessory belts. Took a couple of days. The car started right up, runs great (drove it 4 miles) and is leak free, BUT the check engine light came on at startup and the temperature gauge isn't working. The needle is bottomed out. The temp gauge was working prior to teardown. My question is-Could it be a faulty ground or did I just miss a plug in on the harness. Where is the temperature sensor located?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you still need assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response, but no longer need assistance. I found the sensor for the temp gauge and plugged it in. Temp gauge works. CEL still on-took it to a local shop for diagnostic. Car is running well.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear you got it taken care of!