Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2000 outback wagon. No power window switch is responding. Power

Customer Question

2000 outback wagon. No power window switch is responding. Power windows not listed on fuse diagrams. Suggestions?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question today!
Do you still need assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, first before things get to complicated, can you please check the window lock switch and make sure it wasn't accidentally bumped and keeping the windows from working? I know it seems to simple really, but it's best to start here.Please check and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the first thing I checked.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** wanted to be sure. Sometimes the simple stuff gets overlooked.Fuse #18 in the fuse box inside the car is the power window fuse. If the fuse is good then check in the under the hood fuse box for SBF-6. This is the power supply for fuse 18.If both look good, then we are going to need a test light and to remove the master switch to check for power at the switch. That being said, the master switch can also cause this issue since it supplies power to all of the windows.Check the fuses and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 18 was shot. I replaced it and my driver window worked. I tried the passenger and it went down a few inches and the fuse blew again. Smells smokey.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you have a short in the power window on the passenger side. If you have another fuse you could try the other windows as well. From here it's difficult to be 100% sure what's causing the blown fuse to be honest with you. If the other windows work though it does narrow it down at least to that circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the fuse and tried to raise the driver window that initially worked, it raised a couple of inches then blew the fuse. I only have 2 30amp fuses left.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I am going out on a limb here because of the lack of fuses and going to say open the harness on the driver side door and look for any damaged wires. You can see the rubber harness protector that goes from the body to the door. Take a look in there and see if there is any damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see no visible defects from the door to the harness it connects to in the cabin. Also, could a short in the battery cable cause this?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a test light or volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a test light and a multimeter.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you check and see if each switch works properly on it's own other then the main left side switch?This is going to be pretty tricky to diagnose without the car. Also, get some fuses, you will probably need them while we are working on it.Let me know Thanks