FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Subaru Forester X: I have an 06 forester that is giving me

Customer Question

I have an 06 forester that is giving me the codes p0301, p0026, p0024 and p0022. The CEL is on and the symptoms are the engine will hitch or sputter a little when you first take your foot off the brake and hit the gas.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if this tends to happen more when the engine is hot or cold or does it not matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter. It happens either way. A little more background. It's run fine since we bought it last spring. It's had new head gaskets put on. It's about 104k miles. The CEL first started coming on during a long road trip a couple weeks ago. I cleared the code (removing the positive cable) and it took about another week to come back on. I changed the front O2 sensor but the light has come back on.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Most of the time when you get these codes and issues it is due to a variable valve timing issue. Most commonly this occurs when the oil gets old or the oil filter is clogged. I would start by changing the oil and clearing the codes. If the codes return then you may need a new intake solenoid valve. Over half of the time the oil change will take care of it. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I had the oil and filter changed right before I went on the road trip. How difficult is it to change the intake solenoid valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if I changed the oil right before that, could that still be the issue?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If you changed the oil right before then this can occur if the wrong weight oil was used or if the oil filter is defective. Both of these can occur. As for the solenoid this not too hard to replace. I can give you information on that if you would like.