tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Subaru: mike! I got a front end squeak on the passenger

Customer Question

Hi mike! I got a front end squeak on the passenger side of out Subaru Outback. Breaks are new. Squeak seems to come and go when driving at a variety of different speeds. It also seems to stop immediately when break is pressed. I've tried to dip car right and left to see if noise is in suspension but it does not seem to affect it. Any ideas?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,thanks for your question.The brakes that were replaced were they aftermarket or OEM,if they were aftermarket the compounds used in the pads sometimes cause squeaks.Do you recall if the noise was happening before the brake pads were replaced?Thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are aftermarket breaks and have been on for a few months before noise began.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,without being able to hear the noise I still suspect the noise is coming from the brakes,they do make a spray to help quiet the noise but this involves removing all the brake pads to apply it,the fix is temporary though.The reason it may have taken a few months to appear could be that the brake pads may be sticking in the holders and not releasing away from the rotors causing excessive heat and producing noise,it also may be the the composition of the brakes themselves once the pads are seated to the rotors the brake pads may not have enough cooling channels to deflect the heat and cause the noise,thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced both front rotors and pads and the noise persists. Wife is taking car in.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi again please let me know why they find, I'm very curious,thanks.