Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Tribeca: Subaru tribeca can't start. Batery Ok but car

Customer Question

Subaru tribeca can't start. Batery Ok but car can't start.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cranking at all
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
I am terribly sorry, I had a minor emergency last night and was unable to reply. I did open your question back up for the other experts but I see no one replied.Do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I still need help for that problem. The same problem was fixed by Subaru main Dealer 3 weeks ago. The situation is that, the car battery is Ok, engine Ok, car key Ok, alarm system Ok, immobilisator Ok. There is no communication between the car key and the alarm sysytem. I want to override the system and start the car. What should have to do? Thank you.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
The problem is you can't override the security system on the car. It's a chip key, it sends a radio signal to the computer to allow the car to start.I am wondering what color the ring around the ignition switch is. There are a couple of other things that might be happening that would make you think it's the immobilizer, usually though, the immobilizer will allow the engine to turn over briefly. If you have no sound at all from the engine compartment when you turn the key I believe we may be looking at something else causing the problem.Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no sound at all from the engine compartment when I turn and press the key to start the car. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And what can I do to override the system and start the car?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it seems possible that the issue is with the neutral safety switch to me. This is the only break in the system that would prevent any starter engagement at all. If you have a test light, I think we could check some wiring, I do see you are in the UK so my wiring diagrams may not be spot on, but I would try putting it into neutral and see if it will start or at least crank.Also, if not, put it back up into park and wiggle the shifter while trying to start it.Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to override the system and start the car?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
As I stated originally, you cannot override the security system. The immobilizer uses radio frequency to work.You may be able to get a mobile locksmith to reset the system if it's the problem.