George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

2002 outback 5 speed transmission replacing right front output

Customer Question

2002 outback 5 speed transmission replacing right front output seal. I REMOVED the seal retaining housing but did not mark the relationship between the housing and transfer case. what is the procedure to properly reinstall seal retaining housing so there is proper end play on pinion. this is a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. engine
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
It is about 9 turns, if you don't have the tool for the retainer be very careful if you try to tap it into place. Normally you will break the retainer trying that as it needs even pressure all the way around, The proper tool has four prongs to engage the teeth on the retainer.
You only removed the one side right? You will feel it get tight at the end of 9 turns and the pinion depth on the ring gear will be correct.
Please let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I only removed the right axle . at the time I didn't know the seal retaining housing effected the pinion. I turned the housing in till it felt tight . on the ground started engine trans in neutral let out clutch got a sound like bad alternator bearing ,so I shut off engine then found out of pinion and so here we are
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is like a ford 9 inch with the removable center section that you can move the ring gear side to side with the adjuster rings on the bearings. Same design here. If you only removed the one side it should be 9 turns, count it on the way back out and see how many turns you have.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George I will back out housing and screw it in about 9 turns. By doing this will end play on right axle be the same as the left side?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if you will see this but I will give you an alternative to counting. It may not be 9 turns on this trans it may only be 5.25 so put your finger in and shake the gear as you turn the retainer in. Once you get the bearing tight shake it a little to help seat it. If you have the axle on the other side turn it a little to help seat the bearings and just tighten the retainer til there is no play and back off a little so there is no preload on the bearing but not more than 10 thousandths play either. Just a little. That will be the correct place for the retainer.
Like setting wheel bearing on old tapered nearing front hub assemblies.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS AGAIN GEORGE I WILL GIVE IT A TRY
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Great, please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you