Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Crosstrek: My 2014 crosstrek low beams just randomly

Customer Question

My 2014 crosstrek low beams just randomly go out. Has been happening since I bought the car a year ago.
Running lights and high beams still work. Sometimes it lasts a few moments, other times 40 minutes. No rhyme or reason with weather, turning, or bumps. Sometimes this happens while driving, sometimes it's from a cold start. Sometimes it will happen 3 times in a week, other times, nothing for a couple of months. The dealer can't diagnose and won't do anything bc it isn't happening while it's there. They have replaced the directional, and that didn't help. They have not replaced the relay sensor, because they say it tests appropriately when at the shop. Also, dash headlight indicator is always on and does not turn off when headlights do.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,to me this sounds like a temper-mental relay,my advice is to replace low beam relay located in the fuse box in the engine compartment,it's tough when its not occurring but i believe this is the easiest and least expensive place to start with a intermittent problem like this,thanks for your time.