Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Impreza RS: I have a 2005 subaru impreza RS 2.5 non

Customer Question

I have a 2005 subaru impreza RS 2.5 non turbo sedan. When I turn on the fan it makes a noise at times that sounds like air expelling and it has a power like surge. Any ideas?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean the heater fan?It sound like the bearing in the heater fan is bad there is also a possibility some debris is lodged in the fan,if this is something you would like to diagnose and repair yourself let me know ,thanks for your time .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the heater fan. No winding sound, it's a "ump" sound that comes and goes. Happens when you turn on the fan and then every 5 to 10 min. I thought it was a bad blend door servo but it makes a slight power hesitation too.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Hi, no vacuum servos on this car all mode door and temperature blend are done with cables .If you select different speeds and the noise changes the heater fan will need to be looked at,thanks