Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

Subaru Outback: Hi,I have a 2008 Subaru outback with a 2.5

Hi,I have a 2008 Subaru outback with a 2.5 litre petrol ( Non Turbo ) engine with 73,000 klm,s. Recently I was notified by my subaru service centre of weep ( coolant ) evidence on a head gasket. I was told to monitor this but a new head gasket will be required if the coolant does start to leak. They said this would require engine removal to renew the gasket ( big cost ).Is engine removal a must do to complete this task? Also,I am considering using a reputable coolant sealer additive to stop the weep. Is this wise and indeed even work on what is not a leak?I would would flush the system,use the additive,and reflush before adding the correct coolant.
Many Thanks
Graeme McMahon
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

You can try a sealer if you do the job exactly as instructed to on the bottle of the sealer. Ive seen it work for small leaks in many cases. If the sealer does not work then the heads do have to be resealed with the engine removed from the car. They just wont come off with the engine installed due to the amount of room in the engine bay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Anthony for your advice.One more question,a sealant would not be damaging to the internal sensers,water pump seals etc would it?

you are quite welcome!

the sealers are designed to fix leaks only, not to damage anything.