Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

Subaru Forester: My 2006 Subaru Forester recently had the engine

My 2006 Subaru Forester recently had the engine replaced and after 5 weeks last night was driving and the check engine, cruise control and oil temp lights came on as I was driving. I called the company who replaced the engine and they told me it should be okay, just don't drive so it's above 3000 rpms as that could damage the engine. I stayed at 2000 and reached home about 20 minutes later. Today the car will not go in reverse. Is it the transmission? and if so what is approx cost? Thank you for your help.
Hi there,
Does the car have an auto or manual transmission?
Also, do you mean the A/T oil temp light came on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

auto, oil temp light came on at the bottom of the panel

It sounds like the transmission, but first, let's check the fluid level.
There is a dipstick for the transmission near the power brake booster on the firewall, driver side.
Start the car, and with it in park, pull the stick and see if there is any red fluid on it and let me know.
Thank you Rose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes there is, it's just over theh level for hot.

Ok, sorry to say, but it does sound like the problem could be the transmission. I would first say that there should be codes stored, so they should be read. It is possible the whole transmission is not the problem, but rather a solenoid or something. There is also a ground wire that should be looked at as sometimes it gets broken with engine change.
This runs off the firewall to the transmission mount in the front.
Pricing is a tough call at this time, but a complete transmission would run about $2500 or so.
Hope this helps!
Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance. If not, please be sure to rate my answer. If you used the free trial, a rating is still required,you card will not be charged. Thank You!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so your response - I feel a lot better - that's cheaper than a new car. (or maybe not as I already replaced the engine). It's difficult to know when to stop the madness, but I like the car a lot - it's a great car.

I totally understand where you are coming from, and if it's paid for, then it is cheaper then a new one for sure.
Like I said, it may not be as bad as a new transmission.There will be codes stored in the transmission control module that can tell the story better.