Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

I was wondering, is the VIN required to reprogram the new set

I was wondering, is the VIN required to reprogram the new set of ECU, Immobilizer. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they said I need the VIN of the vehicle that the set came out of. Do they really need the VIN, or can they program without VIN. Seemed like the dealer was just trying to sell me new set of ECU and Immobilizer for 1g!!!
They should not need the VIN, but may need the original security code that came with the keys you are using in the car. See, the keys themselves come with a metal security tag and code. The VIN is required for them to get that set of numbers if it's missing from the set you have.
If there is any chance at all of getting the VIN from the car the parts came from, they should be able to use that.