tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

Subaru Outback 2.5I Basic: recently bought a used 2004 subaru

Customer Question

recently bought a used 2004 subaru outback. I noticed that the radio presets went away after the key is turned off, the clock does not stay on time and the interior lights don't come on until the key is on. I check the battery and charging system all ok. I then found a 15 amp fuse out under the hood that was for the clock and interior lighting. I replaced it, but now the radio stays, wipers work, heated seat work while the key is out of the ignition
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 3 years ago.

tamaz22 : Hi,welcome to,my name is tamaz22 let's get started solving your problem!You have found the transit fuse,this fuse is removed when the vehicle is being delivered to the dealerships to prevent battery drain.Now the question is what component or wiring caused fuse to blow,this can be a difficult thing to find considering it didn't blow right away.If it does blow again pay attention to type of weather,type of road surface can was driven on,how long vehicle was running or on when this happened,interior equipment used at the time ,aftermarket equipment installed(alarm,remote starter etc....)this will help us in locating the short.thanks!
Expert:  tamaz replied 3 years ago.
Robert as I was reviewing my answer to you I assumed the fuse was blown and you were wondering what could have caused this,sorry I now see you have components staying on which is not right.Does the car have a alarm or remote starter installed,something is bridging the ignition switch to make these components operate with the key out.Let me know thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I talked to the previous owner, no security system or remote starter were ever installed. He said he had not had this problem before. I am thinking it is the ignition switch. The only put new speakers in the front doors. I am also wondering if it is the key. The one I was using is a silver extra key.

Expert:  tamaz replied 3 years ago.
Robert,you may be right ,does the key appear really worn,,the dealer can cut one preferably because hey can cut by the code which will be the best way,it's the cheapest way to check,should be less than $5,and if it isn't the problem you'll have an extra.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried all three keys I have. Same result. do you think it could be the ignition switch on the steering collum?

Expert:  tamaz replied 3 years ago.
Robert ,while this is happening ,remove 4 pin blue connector from under dash that connects ignition switch,if it goes out you've found the problem.This would be the first place to start,thanks,let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay getting back. I has been cool enough a low enough humidity to get out and check. Today I put the fuse back in and unplugged the ignition switch. It did not solve the problem. So if you have a next area I can look I would appreciate it.

Expert:  tamaz replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Robert ,considering the circumstances I would inspect the connections behind the fuse panel,the circuits that are operating without the ignition on are all not on the same circuit according to the wiring diagram.I know the battery and alternator have been inspected while the circuits are operating disconnect connections at alternator ,I have instances where the alternator has a open diode and caused voltage to flow where it shouldn't when key is off,thanks.