Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

Subaru Outback 2.5: I apparently have a mouse or some critter

Customer Question

I apparently have a mouse or some critter living in the engine compartment of my 05 Outback XT. It chewed through the wiring harness for the throttle position sensor. The engine turned over, idling very rough with no response from the accelerator. "To save me money" the local Firestone garage I was able to limp the car to was able to salvage the harness by rebuilding the plug vice removing and replacing the wire harness. They said that according to the local Subaru dealer, they would normally replace the whole TPS wiring harness which apparently meant a lot of labor costs. Is this valid?

Fast forward 2 weeks, the car is running great, then out of the blue, the car won't turn over. I get an "Er HC" code in the odometer readout and the temperture guage is pegged to H. I let it sit for the night, then the next morning it fires up, but same symptoms as mentioned above (rough idle & unresponsive accelerator). Apparently something chewed through the TPS wiring harness again. What does the "Er HC" code mean? Is it a result of the patch work they did to my TPS wiring harness? Am I looking at having to replace the harness and does that really require essentially having the engine taken apart to install it? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
HI there,All of the computers on the car are linked together using what they cal a LAN system. This is the Local Area Network.The ER HC indicates that there is an issue with one of the communication lines. This probably isn't due to the repair, but has more to do with the rodent eating the wiring. If it has eaten through the lan line, then it can cause the symptoms described.To diagnose this, first, a scan tool that can communicate with all of the computers is required.One of the computers will not show up online, then the wiring for that computer must be checked to find the break in the communication line.It sounds like there is more damage then they originally found on the harness and it still needs to be checked more thoroughly.This can be repaired so you don't have to replaced the entire harness,and yes, it really requires taking the engine down quite a bit to replace, especially on the turbo models.Hope this helps!Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance, if not, please be sure to rate my answer.If you got here with the free trial offer,you will not be charged.Thank you.