George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

Subaru Impreza WRX STi: Hi I have an 05 subaru sti the other

Hi I have an 05 subaru sti the other day I went to accelerate got high rpm but no pull at all and got a burnt rubber smell possibly a belt? Today I was driving and the car dies when I slow down and get off the gas but will do high speeds fine I notice the problem mostly taking turns trying to get back into 2nd it will cutout and sometimes just driving slowly in a parking lot where little gas is required. When I got back to my house the car made some really strange grinding noises and cut out as I was parking... if you could give me some advice id appreciate it. thanks
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

How many miles and have you ever put a clutch in this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the car has 90k miles and not sure what a clutch line is I know the car had a stage 3 put on it at 50k from the guy I bought it from but I think that deealt more with the turbo and fuel injectors/pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also the car will start just fine and idles alright but it sounds different a little quiter and idles a tad lower than normal takes a lot more gas to get it to go into reverse than normal

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

What happens with the clutch on these is the friction material shreds and gets wedged between the flywheel and the pressure plate causing it to drag so the clutch will not fully disengage and it holds them apart so you do not have full engagement. Not being fully engaged allows the engine to race without an increase in vehicle speed and dragging causes the grinding and drop in idle you experienced.

It sounds like you need to replace the clutch in this system.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks that sucks but at least I have some sort of an idea... would you be able to tell me what a fair price would be replacing one of these... Also would the clutch also be the cause of the car just stalling out when driving slowly or cruising without my foot on the gas

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes the clutch can cause the stalling if it drags the engine down, with modifications it could be many things so a hands on diagnosis would be needed to be sure of what the problem is.

The clutch replacement is about $600 to remove the transmission, service the flywheel and replace the friction disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15 + Years