Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited: Kevin I have a 2007 WRX turbo

I have a 2007 WRX turbo with 85k. Multiple cyld misfires. Plugs and 1 coil done due to 1 coil failed and plugs for maint. Al stock parts. Do you think t-belt is slightly worn causing multi cyld counters and/or valve valve adjustment.

Kevin C :

Welcome to, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue.

Kevin C :

Hi there, how does the car run, is it rough? any other codes besides the misfire codes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other codes and I don't even feel the misfire.

I don't hear any tappet sound, but IATN shows a few valve adjustment faults. Just wanted some infor from you on whether you've seen these issues since your versed in Sub's

Honestly, I have not seen many valves out of adjustment on STIs. Some intake gasket leaks that can cause misfire codes but will usually also have a lean code as well. I am off work today but if you can wait, tomorrow I will check on our Subaru Laptop for any ECM updates for misfire codes, I want to say there is one out there. This may help you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem, will get back to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the shop now just let me know after you scan those updates and if relevant.

Hi, just checked, there is a Subaru update for misfire codes on 2007 STIs described as misfire codes and misfire at 1600 to 1900 RPM. having this update done would be my first step before any further diagnosis. This has to be done at a dealer due to the software needed to perform the update.

Let me know if I can help you further, Kevin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the misfire freeze frame is at idle not in the range described in the update mentioned.

Regardless of the RPM and freeze frame data, the first step would be to make sure the ECM is up to date.

Also make sure the coil connectors are tight, and the actual pins in the coil connectors are good, I have seen a few where there has been a pin backed out. I am basing all this on the fact that you said that the car runs well and no actual misfire felt.

One more thing..can you access the Calibration ID, this way I can make sure your car has not already had the update.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Going to see if our data stream supply's that info and will get back to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whether these are applicable - I don't know

Please advise

According to Subaru, the new Cal. ID is A8DK101X so it looks like you do not have the newest files (update) .

I would check the items I mentioned first, also as an FYI, I have found more than a few STIs with burnt valves or cracked ring lands but in both cases, you get a rough idle and lower compression.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We've ordered the update disc and will run next Tuesday. Moving the new coil to different cyld and clearing code for monitoring.

Will keep you posted next week. Thanks for your help

Thank you, let me know!