tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ase certified,20years experience

Subaru Forester X: 07 Forester with the P0420 code. Shop

'07 Forester with the P0420 code. Shop says front Catalytic Converter needs to be replaced. Is there a way to clean the Cat rather than replacing it? I have heard of running 1 gal. of turpentine with 1/2 tank of fuel. Concerned about turpentine and plastic parts. Considered using Seafoam through vacuum line. Can Cat be removed, cleaned, and re-installed?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm here to help get your problem resolved. They are correct about this code meaning the converter. You can try the following burn out procedure which I have had luck with and if that doesn't help it will need to be replaced. Disconnect one of the spark plug wires then with wire disconnected hold idle at 3000 rpm for 5 minutes, reset code, and see if that helps. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So somehow this burns deposits out of the converter? How does that work?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Because the spark plug is disabled the unburned fuel goes into the converter which will burn it out hopefully. Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled a spark plug wire off and started the car. I noticed some arcing at the coil. That didn't seem right so I turned it off. Is that normal with the plug wire removed?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can connect a different spark plug to wire, then ground the spark plug so the spark is able to still go through the wire instead of trying to find a different route through coil. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,welcome to JustAnswer.com,my name is XXXXX XXXXX get started solving your problem!Hi just thought I should chime in here,you didn't mention how many miles are on the car ,this vehicle has at least a 8yr80k emissions warranty if you haven't done so already call your local dealer provide them with your VIN number and they can provide you with what's left on your warranty mileage and year wise,this phone call can save you a lot of money and possibly a ton of aggravation ,I hope this helps!
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience: Subaru certified,ase certified,20years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. I was aware of the law. Unfortunately the car has 131k miles on it.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

No problem is there anything else i can help you with?