Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

2012 Legacy: engine cooling fan..Replaces fuse..blew

Customer Question

The engine cooling fan on my 2012 Legacy stooped working. Replaces fuse, started working and blew out again within seconds. What's wrong with it?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
HI there!
Has it ever been in an accident?
How many miles on the car, and lastly, you have it listed as a 2012 and a 2010 model, which is it please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

2010 Legacy, not 2012. 4dr sedan. Never been in a crash. 64,000 miles. I am meticulous with maintanence.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, most likely since the car hasn't been in a crash, one of the cooling fans has a bad motor. This would draw to much amperage and blow the fuse.
You can try unplugging the fans, replace the fuse, then plug the fans back in one at a time and see if the fuse blows.
This would be the most common issue. If you have any type of extended warranty, it would also likely be covered. I suspect the cooling fan itself is going to be the culprit here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How long does it take to replace the motor if I take it to the dealer rather than my trusted local mechanic? (supposed to drive to canada tomorrow, dont want to rent a car)
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
A couple hours at most if they have it in stock or can source one. That is probably what would take the longest to be honest.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you answered my question and I was very satisfied w/ the answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome! Must be some type of automatic email. Sorry!