Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

subaru: electric/hydraulic power steering pump..driven

I have an electric/hydraulic power steering pump off of an earlier (not sure of the year) subaru. It has four wires on the back of the unit, black, white, red and blue. I'm attempting to use it on a tractor where there is not room for a belt driven unit. I need to know what the wires are for and how to hook it up.. I'm going to use a toggle switch instead of a controller because I only need the boost when I'm turning. Any idea where I can get a wiring diagram that would help me? David XXXX  [email protected]
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue.

Hello, I think you have a steering pump from an XT6, which had a "cybrid" system, its an electric driven motor. There is limited info on these systems since it was discontinued in 1991. I may be able to retrieve the wiring schematic for the whole system on the car if that will be sufficient?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it tells me which wires I need to use for power. It has a heat pad around the resivoir that I thinks cuts itr off if it overheats, but the four wires in back have me stumped.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 4 years ago.

The heat pad is to warm the fluid in cold weather as I recall. I am attaching the wiring diagram, should help you.