Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Subaru Legacy 2.5I: How do you check transmission oil level

How do you check transmission oil level in 2011 Subaru Legacy?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
There is a fill plug on the back of the transmission. You drained the CVT fluid which is why it's green. You cannot use any other fluid then CVT fluid or you will damage the transmission. Remove the plug and put a finger in the hole. If it doesn't come out with fluid on it, it's low. To refill, fill it up in the hole until it comes out.
If you are unsure how to do this, tow it to the dealer. You don't want to destroy the transmission.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really don't understand. To refill, fill it up in the hole until it comes out? Fill it up HOW? Which hole? Is that greenish fluid a transmission fluid? pls answer as quick as you can.
Thank you!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is special CVT transmission fluid.
Typically to refill you have to get a suction gun, suck the fluid out of the bottle and then put the tube on the gun into the hole and fill. Once it starts to run out of the hole, it's full. That is the fill hole.

Clear Fluid Suction Gun

Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience: Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PLS hurry up! I am stock and I need to move on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
waitnig for an answer...
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

Clear Fluid Suction Gun

View Full Image