Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

2010 Subaru Legacy: 3 lowbeam headlights..common problem..bulb

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy that has burned out 3 lowbeam headlights on each side, is this a common problem? And is there an easier way to change the bulb as the procedure in the manual is quite involved and in my opinion absurd. Thanks
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 4 years ago.

Kevin C :

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue Please click the ACCEPT button when satisfied with your answer.Positive Feedback is appreciated! Hello, Have you used OEM replacement bulbs?

Customer:

No aftermarket the last two times, however the OEM burned out in about a year

Kevin C :

I understand your concern, we have seen more than a few of these happening with all models, part of the problem is that the newer cars have DRL systems (Daytime Running Lights) that reduce the life of these bulbs, also, when you installed the bulbs, did you touch the glass portion of the bulb?

Customer:

I had latex goves on when installing, I also have a 2006 outback wagon that had running lights and have onlyreplaced the bulbs one time in 5.5 years. Must be the new design of the headlights? Is there an easier way to replace the bulbs as the method now is quite the job?

Kevin C :

what method are you using now?

Kevin C :

through the wheel well?

Customer:

the way described in the manual.........removing the skirting in the wheel well and trying to get at the light from below. In the manual it says you might not be able to replace it yourself and may require having to bring it to a dealer, that seems a bit ridiculous for something as simple as a headlamp.

Kevin C :

That is the updated instructions, originally, when I was at 2010 model training, they instructed us to remove the bumper to install a bulb so, you have the latest and easiest method..I know, it's crazy.

Kevin C :

Didn't take us long to figure out that removing the bumper was insane

Kevin C :

On;y other thing I would suggest is to make sure the connector you attach to the bulb and the ground ..they are on firmly.

Kevin C :

Do you have the directions for the wheel well access?

Customer:

Thanks for your replies, I was hoping for an easier way. I hope I don't have the same burn out issues with the 2012 I picked up today.

Customer:

not in front of me

Kevin C :

So far I have not seen any bulb issues

Kevin C :

Just wanted to make sure you have the instructions.

Kevin C :

Sometimes the instructions have a simpler route if you are doing the replacement without actual written instructions

Kevin C :

2012 Legacy?

Customer:

yes i have the manual.........thanks next time I might bring it to the dealer and see if I can watch them change it

Customer:

no 2012 outback wagon

Kevin C :

it takes me about 12 minutes to replace

Customer:

took me 30 min

Kevin C :

Hardest part is getting your arm up in there and seeing what you are doing

Customer:

but i'm getting faster lol lucky i have small hands

Kevin C :

30 min. not bad...BTW, did you take care of any recalls on your car?

Customer:

yes I believe 4?

Kevin C :

ok..roll pin, brake cover

Kevin C :

just wanted to make sure your all up to date

Kevin C :

long as your here lol

Kevin C :

your new 2012..4 cyl or 6?

Customer:

and two module re programs

Customer:

4

Kevin C :

Wvu31

Kevin C :

That CVT is slick

Customer:

yes.....well thanks for your timeKevin

Kevin C :

My pleasure!