Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

1996 subaru legacy turns over but wont start if engine is

1996 subaru legacy turns over but won't start if engine is warm.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JA! I am Carguy1 and I will assist you today.
Hi there!
Is the check engine light on when it is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this my daughter's car so I'm not sure. The car has 250,000 plus miles. It has been seen by a mechanic but not someone who specializes in Subaru. I'll try to get more info about the check engine light and get back to you soon.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, sounds good. I have a couple ideas,but if it has been seen by a mechanic, can you try to find out if it is losing fuel or spark when it won't start. That would be helpful if you can.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Check engine light is NOT on when the engine starts and runs. It seems the mechanic said perhaps spark issue or maybe fuel line.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that is super broad. We need to know which is failing when the engine is hot.
With no check engine light it can be only a few things causing the problem.
I would first check to find out which is missing when trying to start the car, spark or fuel.
If both are there, then it is going to be something like the temp sensor or the idle control unit on the throttle.
It is possible it is all gummed up with carbon due to the miles on the car and can be removed and cleaned. This is like a choke on a carburetor vehicle, but since it is fuel injected it uses the idle control solenoid. If it doesn't adjust, then when the engine is hot it will have trouble starting.You will need a scan tool to check the coolant temp sensor. This can give the computer the wrong readings and cause the fuel mix to be wrong.
This would be better if you had the car of course to check some of this stuff, but at least it will give you a direction.
With the miles on the car it is likely something like the IAC in my opinion, just gummed up and causing issues.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience: Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.