Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

98 subaru 4 way flasher stays on

98 subaru 4 way flasher stays on
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Kevin C :

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue Please click the ACCEPT button when satisfied with your answer.hello

Kevin C :

Has your battery been replaced or you needed a jump?

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good battery i have it on a charge
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, but did it go dead before the problem started?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
driving put left turn signal on at stop sign after turn 4 way came on had to remove fuse from main fuse box to stop flasher
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Okay, does the flashing continue or do they stop and restart after a couple minutes? Also, did you check the Hazard switch for sticking..this is a common issue as well?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dosn't stop. the switch is on the steering collum disconnected all wires to collum i installed new flasher. flasher wires brn red has 12 vts
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

The 4way flasher switch is in the center console. Did you check that one..wiggle it while the flashers are on to see if they react.

graphic

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

The one on top of the column is a park switch..make sure that you cannot see the red sticker on the switch, then check the hazard switch.

If the park switch is on, the parking lights stay on solid, not flash.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the flasher switch is dissconneted still flashing. is there a relay in the system that would be stuck on. to run flasher. ware is it. or a short in controler. ware would i get a volt feed back
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, does this car have a keyless entry system? If so...

Sometimes the keyless entry can lose power, when this happens, the park lights will flash, to reset this, there are 2 ways, let's try the easy way first.... disconnect the negative battery terminal, then turn the ignition to the on position, then reconnect the negative terminal of the battery while the key is on. Then turn the ignition off.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4ways still on may radiator fans keep on & off with cool coolent
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
You connected the green connector under the left side dash, that causes the fans to cycle. Disconnect that connector..while you are there, there should be a black control unit with a few connectors on it that is wire tied to secure it, this is your keyless entry module, try disconnecting this, and see if the lights stop flashing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4way still flashing not parking lights keyless entry module may not be there how many wires on connecter? fans still cycling found 6 prong relay dissconnected it fan stop. with 4 way still on. turn on 4 way switch -parking lights come on
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
Not sure how many wires, been a long time since I had to inspect that module, it is a black plastic box, that has a large number of wires connected to it under the left side dash, to your left of the brake pedal, it is an add on so the wires and module are usually just stuffed up there. Do you still have the remotes for the system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have a start remote i can turn on & off the parkings i can lock unlock doors i can start car & shut off car if i had a good wiring diagram i my trace up problem.

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
Oh, you have an aftermarket system in the car, that changes everything. I would recommend finding out what type of system you have, and if possible, the installer, you may have to have them look at the system to determine if the problem is related, I don't think I can really help you much further with this problem. until it is determined that the system is not related to the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
before i talked to you. two of us have work on this for two days. we left flasher running, we dissconnected every relay, every control box, nothing stop flasher, i removed + terminal from battery. i use a + jumper wire to main fuse box fuse that run flasher . i trace power to dash fuse box. 1 other wire has + coming out of fuse box back into harness assembly. i wish i could trace it ferther.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
If you disconnected the flasher and it still flashes, you have an alternate source controlling the lights, the remote start is incorporated in that system since it will operate the lights when you start the car..I suspect that is part of your issue, if you can determine the system you have in the car and can find out if there is a troubleshooting procedure or at least a wiring schematic for the Remote start, we can keep working on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we left flasher running. i dissconnected all wiring. under dash. also the car remote start. didn't make difference.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
So, the flasher will click even with the flasher switch disconnected?
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

In the diagram.. unplug the flasher and probe the BrR wire (brown wire with a red stripe) with a volt meter...if you have battery voltage + , then you need to trace that wire back to the hazard switch.

graphic

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Keven, i was pulling on harness assembly above center panel. the flasher stop. i pushed & pulled harness many times. i installed 4way switch, turned on switch, flashers working. turn off switch flasher stops.....??????? i do not know what i did, but its operating fine.. thank you for your time. its time to trade in my 266000 mile subaru. thank you again.. mike.

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Sounds like you have a bad connector possibly at connector B36 in the first diagram...Just an FYI.

Kevin

Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience: 34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.