Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Subaru Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Subaru Diagnostics

2006 Subaru Forester: My Check engine light..Cruise control..Evap

My Check engine light is on and my Cruise control light is blinking in my 2006 Subaru Forester. I first had the Evap canister replaced at a cost of $ 333.85 and then the fuel valve replaced and computer restored at a cost of $ 171.23. The car worked ok for three months and now the lights are on again. I would like this problem to be fixed. What should the Subaru Dealer do in order to fix my car ?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Do you happen to have any diagnostic trouble codes (p-codes)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PO456 Evap Canister

PO 456 Fuel Value

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ok.

The P0456 is: DTC P0456 EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED (VERY SMALL LEAK)

There are a few things that can set this code. It is extremely hard to diagnose "by eye" or to say "it's this". Replacing parts at random is the wrong way to go about this. There is a Subaru diagnostic flow chart, that I have provided below.
graphic
graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry this really does not help me.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
LIke I say- there is no magic answer, and I cannot say "change this". There needs to be some diagnostic work done. If I could pick the answer out of the blue on this one, I'd be a ga-zillionaire! hahahaha! Going to have to put some work into this one. It's not a cut and dry p-code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since I had the two parts replaced, what part would be next or is it just a computer chip problem ? In your opinon. And I will accept your answer for your time helping me.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Seeing as you've had those other parts replaced, i'd say double check the fuel filler cap. Make sure it's sealing correctly. If it needs to be replaced, it needs to meet Subaru OEM Factory specs (ie- those "universal" or "discount" caps at AutoZone do NOT seal the system). Inspect the fuel filler pipe as well for cracks, holes or loose connections. If the cap and filler tube checks ok, the next step in the diagnostic procedure is to check the Purge Control Solenoid and the vacuum lines to/from the solenoid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Glad I could help. Good luck to you.
Ron Z., - Subaru Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Subaru Diagnostics