Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Subaru Tribeca: My rear differential oil temperature warning

My rear differential oil temperature warning light flashes for fractions of second when I decelerate ( release gas pedal) during driving. It never stays on for any sustained period of time. It happens mostly with speed range between about 20-45 ml/hr. Sometimes it happens when car hits uneven road surface.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. Considering it only comes on for a second makes it sound more like a bad sensor or connection so I'd start by cleaning sensor connector at sensor located on rear diff...If that doesnt help replace the sensor. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is it located? Can I clean sensor connectorby myself and how it can be reached?
Can this light blinking be caused by not evenly weared tires? (One of my tires about 1.5 year or 12000 ml newer than the rest.)
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
If its actually overheating it could be caused by uneven tires but light should stay on if its actually overheating..Herei s a picture of connector, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

There is a heat shield that needs to be removed to access conector.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dan , thank you. I'd like to try it by myself. Does raising the car by jack is enough or it is bad idea and I should go to mechanic?
I have one more question. If it out of pricing range I would understand.

My steering wheal is shaking when I brake on high speed about 60-70 ml/h.The car has 36000 ml. I never did anything on brakes. What are the visual signs of worn out /damaged rotors? On my previous car mechanic changed rotors and problem reappeared - rotors weren't the problem. Though balancing of the wheels helped permanently.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Raising with jack is fine but use jackstands...otherwise pick up a set of ramps...AS far as wheel shaking when braking that usually means damaged rotors if you can feel it in pedal...If you cannot feel it in pedal check tie rod ends for play. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks again. I don't feel it on pedal, only steering wheel is shaking and also slight feeling that car tries to go to the side

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ya that sounds alot like tie rod ends, possibly ball joints. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I did not intent to get a long term contract with this company. Needed only one consultation. Is this company going to charge me monthly?
Anyway happy holidays.
Best regards.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
As as you didnt click the "sign up for free membership" it will be a 1 time thing. You can email [email protected] for account questions. Thanks again, have a great day and holidays.