Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

94 Subaru: front brake..brake caliper..small hole..without replacing

94 Subaru Legacy

The front brake caliper is coming out of the rubber boot. Also, the rubber boot has a small hole smaller than the tip of my pinky. Can this be fixed without replacing the entire caliper?

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. About your vehicle.

The caliper would have to be rebuilt or replaced. The labor to rebuild it will most times come to more than the cost of a rebuilt one from an after market parts store.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it possible to buy a rebuilding "kit"? I am not able to pay a lot of money for it and could use some more time before buying the rebuilt ones.
Yes, they show to have them at autozone.com. You may want to do both front, about $8 plus some brake fluid. That way they will work equally. Here is a link along with some instructions, I am going to luch now but will be back later, thanks

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1994-Subaru-Legacy/Brake-Caliper-Kit-Front/_/N-j17o5Z8kn5i?filterByKeyWord=caliper+kit&fromString=search

Overhaul

graphic

Refer to Fig. 2 , when performing the following procedure.

1. Remove caliper
  2. Remove sleeve and the lockpin boot.
  3. Remove boot ring and piston boot.
  4. Position a block of wood between piston bore and caliper ears, then remove piston from piston bore by gradually applying compressed air to brake fluid inlet port.
  5. Remove piston seal. Use caution not to damage inner wall of cylinder.
  6. Remove guide pin boot from caliper.
  7. Reverse procedure to install.

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE; YOU MUST HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*
*