Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL

Subaru Outback Limited: how to replace drivers side head light

Customer Question

how to replace drivers side head light low beam 2010 outback/battery removed old bulb removed /no room to slide new bulb into position/
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX replace these bulbs, you have to remove the driverside front wheel well mud guard, then you can access the bulb easily, i will post a pictures showing this below,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how many plastic clips hold wheel well mud guard & safest way to remove them w/out breaking
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
there will be 5 screws on the bottom part, under the bumper, then you only need to remove th one screw from the fenderwell, on the front, then the fenderwell can be pulled back to expose the headlight,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still not any room to reach in w/out touching bulb/easier to remove assembly?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
No, this is the easiest way, if you are worried about touching the bulb, use a pair of latex gloves, this will prevent the oils from your skin getting on the bulb,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tim i have a tip for u / 1 take a paint stir stick & cut it as wide as the terminals on the back of the bulb/ 2 friction fit it into those terminals and use this to guide the bulb thru the narrow space to the bulb socket
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Wow, that is a great tip, i will try that next time, Thanks,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now to complete the job the dust cap has to be re-installed i'm guessing that a lot of these vehicles are missing that part after headlight replacement / any tips on this ?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.

The dust cap should just snap back on