Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Forester S: 98 forester, at oil temp light flashes after

Customer Question

98 forester, at oil temp light flashes after driving on the freeway, car stutters for a few minutes, check engine light turns on, and it eventually stalls. it will turn back on and idle, but after a few minutes it will die again. if i unhook the battery and reset the ecu, it will drive fine for several days before doing this same thing again. CEL code is maf low input. had the maf sensor tested and it is producing the correct ohms. could my ecu be bad or is something else going on?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Kevin C :

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue Please click the ACCEPT button when satisfied with your answer.

Kevin C :

When you tested the MAF was the car running fine at that time?

Customer:

no, i had not even turned the key off, it was still in the parking lot where it died

Kevin C :

The MAFs are a common failure, what I would do is find a scanner that can access the Trans. computer, if the code in there is also MAF, then that would confirm. Sometimes the MAFs just get glitchie and have erratic output.

Kevin C :

Also, when it acts up, while it's running bad, unplug the MAF and see if it improves

Customer:

i did try unplugging it, it didnt change anything

Kevin C :

ok, I would still try to get the code in the Trans Computer, when the Temp Light comes on , there is usually a code stored, it can help you diagnose the problem. I am still leaning towards the MAF.

Customer:

i'll give it a shot, thanks

Kevin C :

My pleasure.

Kevin C :

You can come back here so we can continue once you get the code anytime

Kevin C :

Very rare that the ECU is bad.

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Just post here anytime regarding this issue, even after you click accept is fine.

Kevin C.

Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience: 34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
replaced the maf, so far its good! my internet has been out the last couple of days so i wasnt able to respond. i'll check back if it happens again, but like i said, its doing well so far.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Glad to hear it!! Thanks for the update as well, always like to hear how a repair turns out or if my customers still need assistance!

Kevin C.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey, after replacing the maf it drove fine until just today, it has started stuttering again. So far it hasn't died or had any lights come on, it just stutters on the freeway every 30 or so seconds for a few minutes, then stops.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 2 years ago.

Did you buy a factory MAF or aftermarket? Also, you may have a bad plug causing a miss issue.