Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

Subaru Forester 2007 Subaru cant shift out of park

2007 Subaru can't shift out of park
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
Will the car start and then not shift out of park?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car started, won't shift from park
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, can you tell me if the brake lights are functioning when you step on the brake pedal.
It may be a simple fuse issue and this will help diagnose it.
Thanks and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car is here where I am. I can't check the brakes until 5:30 EST
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car is not here where I am. I can't check the brakes until 5:30 EST
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me know on the brakes.
In the meantime, there should be a small plastic cut out just above the P on the cover for the shifter. You can remove the cutout and using a pen cap push it down inside the hole and pull the shifter back. This will get it out of park for you.
We still need to try and figure out what the problem is, but if you can get it out of gear it will help. Sometimes things get out of sync and it is as simple as getting it out of park and putting it back in.
I will be on this evening, so post when you can.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I return to you after 5pm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get a hold of you after 5PM EST
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
There should be links to this thread going into your email, just pick one and it should bring you right back here.
If I am not online, I will get an email and get back as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The brake are not working when in park, however i was able to get them to come on by moving the gear shift lever around.
I did get the shifter to go into gear once, but when I returned it to park I couldn't get into gear again without pushing down the button under the small plastic cut out.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me ask you this. Do the lights work in gear, the brake lights I mean?I know it is hard to tell if you are alone :)
but let me know.
The shifter should not really have bearing on the brake lights themselves..
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the brake lights were on when in gear
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you have a test light or anything like a volt meter so we can check some electrical on this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can get one, how late are u working. I really feel comfortable dealing with u.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I should be on until about 9 pm eastern time.
A volt meter would be best, XXXXX XXXXX will have to pop the cover bezel off the shifter. This should come right up and off, it is only held on by clips.
The BIU (body integrated unit) controls the shift lock solenoid, so we need to see if there is any action on the park switch under the cover.
it will take a little time, but I think we can diagnose the problem. Plus, it is also possible the brake light switch is the culprit,one line goes to the biu and the other to the brake lights.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will return
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, I will have to pit for dinner at some point, but I will warn you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have a multimeter, whats next
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please let me know what I must check with the multimeter
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Pull the cover up, the first thing we need to check is the red/black stripped wire for power. With the key on and brakes pressed, see if you get voltage on that wire and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just let me know what the problem might be if there is no power? I need to take this to a mechanic for repair, but I would like to know some of the probabilities. Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, my friend,
Here is a list of possible causes.
First, the park position switch. This lets the BIU know the car is in park. If the switch isn't working then the BIU won't know the car is in park.
Second, the inhibitor or neutral safety switch. Same story, the car may not know it's in park. I think this is not likely because it is starting for you.
Third, possibly the brake light switch. If it isn't inputting that you have your foot on the brake, then the BIU won't know to activate the shift solenoid.
Lastly, some type of issue with the BIU itself, least likely of all.
I am betting on the brake light switch or the park position switch to be the issue.
If there is power, then the shift lock solenoid would be the culprit.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience: Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.