Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

How do you change a inhibitor switch 2005 subaru out back

Customer Question

how do you change a inhibitor switch 2005 subaru out back
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. About your vehicle.

I have the instructions in a PDF format that you can download HERE then you just click where it says “Click here to start download” Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do i realy need the special tool or can i improvise by using something else.? what does this tool do?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
The STNNN-NN-NNNNreally just holds the manual lever from turning while you install the switch. If need be you can adjust it if it were to move whn you tighten the screws. Thanks
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have checked switch with tester voltage red/white, reverse power on red/white
tested black /white, power on,, in neutral lose power to black/white . Jumpered pins number 9 - 10 NO reverse lights, checked wires at lights, good ground no volotage on brown yellow , My conclusion is there is an open circuit in the harness to the reversing lights. Could you please assist me in tracing the route of the harness are there anyother connectors and if so where are they located. Is there any other way to locate this open circuit.Thanks
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
You are on the right track, by checking the voltages. Here is a diagram that may help you. ALso, you can check the relay for them.

graphic

graphic

Measure the resistance between back-up light relay terminals when connecting terminal No. 4 to battery positive terminal and terminal No. 3 to battery ground terminal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The subaru is 2005 outback 4speed auto , You seem to be saying there is a relay in the cicuit where is it located. I cant believe its fault wiring every thing looks brand new. Thanks
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Yes....#356.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where in the vehicle is the relay #356 located ?
Thanks Super Mechanic i realy need to know where i can find it .
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
It is under the dash, that picture doesn't show it real well though. Toward the center but more on the driver's side.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Super Mechanic, sorry to be such a pain, looking at electrical diagram, Could you tell me
The back up swich shown on the left of print, supplied from the fuse through the switch to mt then to the lights.Looking at the back up relay, it fed from the fuse feeding both the relay coil and relay contact. When the relay is energized the contact supplies power to the lights
through at and mt then to the lights .The negative side of the relay coil is through B56 to TCM . What is TCM??
and where does pick up the negative side of the battery?????
Thanks for you patientsReards Dave
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
The back up lamjp relay is grounded through the TCM, (trans control module) on the auto trans and a BU lamp switch on the manual trans. The TCM grounds the relay when the trans position switch, (inhibitor switch) is in reverse.

INHIBITOR SWITCH

graphic

Measure the resistance between inhibitor switch terminals.