Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

subaru: shift solenoid e..removing..pan..valve body need to be removed

Customer Question

trying to find the location of shift solenoid e in subaru 5aet transmission. Is it as simple as removing the pan to get to or does the valve body need to be removed?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there!
It is as simple as it sounds. Just remove the pan and the shift solenoids are bolted to the valve body. Disconnect the harness and unbolt the solenoid. Valve body removal is not required.,
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Here is a diagram. It isn't showing what one is the E solenoid specifically.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for your response, is there any way i can specifically determine which is solenoid E?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a code possibly? I might be able to get to it using the code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Two codes came up upon scanning in the history - P1799 interlock; and then P0771 shift solenoid e malfunction

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Got it!
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much. Do you think the interlock error code may have also been caused by the same shift solenoid problem?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I think it is quite possible, I am not finding the code so I can't be sure however to be honest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no problem - thank you for your swift responses.

i love you man - not in a homosexual way, more like when one of those rappers says it to his "crew" :)

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
lol, you are very welcome! Hope this all helps you out!
like my kids would say "no homo"
lol
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience: Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks your answer was very helpful.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Have a great day and thank you for the accept!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.

Upon removing the pan on the transmission, the diagram you provided was incorrect and for a completely different configuration. It appears the solenoids are on the other side of the valve body and thus valve body requires removal.

The box is a 5 speed automatic code tg5c7cwaaa-y3.

Also the auto transmission place has advised that the solenoids as per part numbers are not listed in alphabetical but rather numeric. Ie solenoid e will need to be solenoid 1, 2, 3 etc. There are six possible variants and thus using the code above are u please able to provide a clearer description of which is solenoid e.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Is the filter internal or a spin on external that looks like an oil filter on this?
This should be a phase 2 4EAT transmission on this car.
Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will have to verify tomorrow morning. However please note that this is a five speed auto not four speed as per my initial question.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I will most definitely see what I can come up with for you. I will do some digging for sure!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I am still working on this for you. It looks like however they want to replace the whole valve body for this one solenoid. I will keep looking to see if I can figure out which one it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I checked and the filter is internal.

Hope this helps.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
So far I am coming up with a blank.
I am showing the whole valve body must be replaced.
I do have one more iron in the fire checking for me and I will let you know.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I have located a good diagram. Solenoid E is the lockup solenoid.
Good luck!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again for your help - hopefully this resolves the matter and the box can now be fixed !

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry it took so long! Sure hope it does help!