Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

Subaru b9 TriBeCa: ve replaced..cooling system..water pump..sensors

I own an 06 Subaru b9 TriBeCa. I've been experiencing an overheating problem for about 3 months. I've replaced everything that has to do with a cooling system except water pump and sensors. Even replaced hoses. I saw on a b9 forum a person experiencing the exact same problem as me but dealing with it a little longer. They had even had the head gasket replaced and said the head was tested and fine. They said now it's in for a throttle body gasket. My TriBeCa I noticed idles really high when first started 12-1300 rpms, but after driving a while will drop down to 7-800. My question is could a bad throttle body gasket be causing my inconsistent overheating problems. I've never let it heat up to max let alone for any period of time and my oil is clean, no water and there is no water comin from my tailpipe which leads me to believe it's not a head problem. Thank you for your time.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
If there was a problem with the TB gasket, it would be losing coolant.
It is likely a head gasket issue. What you need is a combustion test kit. This is a chemical test that will show if there are exhaust gases in the coolant. When a boxer engine loses the head gasket, it will allow exhaust into the cooling system. It isn't like the typical engine that will mix the coolant and the antifreeze.
it is also possible the cooling fins in the radiator and the a/c condenser are getting plugged up with dirt and road debris and not allowing the air flow to cool things off. Sometimes hosing these out with a garden hose will help the problem.