Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

1992 subaru loyale: my check engine light..000 miles..coolant..voltage

Customer Question

my check engine light just came on last nite - after driving on the interstate for 30 minutes at 65 mph, when I had to wait at an off ramp signal light (high speed then idle). this morning it came on right at start then after 5 minutes it went out (temp guage movement) but then returned on after anouther 5 minutes - 1992 subaru loyale wagon manual approx 220,000 miles - oil ok - press ok, coolant ok - temp ok, voltage ok, runs ok
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.

Kevin C :

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue Please click the ACCEPT button when satisfied with your answer. Positive Feedback is appreciated.

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.

The Loyale is a bit tricky to diagnose since it is Pre-OBD2, harder to access the codes to determine why the Check Engine light is coming on, which is the first step in diagnosing this.

First, is the car still operating normally, no driveability problems since the CEL came on?

Now, the easiest way to find out what code is displayed we need to drive the car, when the CEL in the dash comes on, you will need to safely pull over, and while the light is on, read the flashing light on the Computer control unit that is under the drivers side dash, mounted directly under the steering column, you may want to remove that cover under the dash ahead of time, so you can have an easier time reading the code . There will be a little hole in the computer, on the side of the computer facing the drivers seat, in this hole is a red light that will blink, when there is a problem, the light blinks a code automatically. You have to read the "blinks" say you see the light flash slow 2 times and then fast 3 times..that would be a code 23, so you get the idea, watch the blinking a few times to verify what code or codes you get, this way you can let me know the code/codes and then we can further diagnose this problem. Good luck.

Let me know, Kevin C.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yo Kevin, sorry to take so long to get back to ya...my message was lost and was just able to get back in yesterday -

drivability is not apparently affected - but will be checking mpg

I did as you suggested and found the cpu under a maze of wires - yep there was a hole in the case and it was blinking a slow 3 and a fast 4 = 34

I'll be checking it again as it constantly is on yet off occasionaly - on my 25 mile commute home last night it was off until I was caught up in traffic - sure enough as I shifted from 2 -3 it came on - weird that it does that - your assistence is appreciated

Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.
Code 34 is a common code for the Loyale, it's an EGR Solenoid failure. It's located under the hood mounted near the throttle body. You may be able to get one aftermarket, it will not cause the car to stop running but it may be a good idea to replace it when you can..You may notice a little "gas ping" if you don't.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
at first I was unable to locate an EGR solenoid valve - parts houses did not find any for me - until yesterday. I'm awaiting for the part to show up and then see if it silences the ECL. in the meantime the brake light just came on, I checked and the fluid resorvior was low, so I added some fluid but am wondering where that fluid has gone - I looked for leaks at the res, and checked wheels - but have not pulled the wheels off the car, brakes seem to be working so?
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.

I would check the brakes for worn pads, that can reduce the level of fluid in the reservoir.

Kevin C.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
part came in yesterday and installed it minus some skin off the old knuckle, and a new EGR valve, as of yet no CEL - thanks! I replaced brake pads a year or so ago but I'll pull a wheel and check them out
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.
Also may want to pull the rear drums and check for a leak at the wheel cylinders.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.
So, How's your Check Engine Light? Fixed?
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience: 34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so far! best part is that it passed smog (just barely) I replaced the spark plugs, dist cap and rotor and it's running great thanks for the help! Pete
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.
Glad to help!