Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

2010 Subaru Forester: rear window..reservoir..the engine compartment

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester with almost 1800 miles on it. The rear window washer will not spray washer fluid onto the rear window. I filled up the washer reservoir in the engine compartment, but it still does not work. Is the reservoir under the hood the only place for washer fluid? I can hear the pump operating when I rotate the switch to spray washer fluid on the rear window. Could the nozzle be plugged after only owning the car two months?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.

Kevin C :

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue Please click the ACCEPT button when satisfied with your answer. Positive Feedback is appreciated!

Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience: 34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, there is only the one washer tank under the hood that supplies solvent to the front and rear washers. You very well could have a clogged line or a sticky valve. Has the vehicle had any body work done to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.

Ok, The rear washer has a one way valve that sometimes can stick , it is in the tailgate of the vehicle and would involve removing the inner trim to inspect it and free it up. It can also be clogged at the nozzle or any where along the hose route, the best plan of attack is to start at the tailgate, removing the trim and looking at the valve and nozzle and hose in the tailgate since that is the most common area for problems.

I would also consider letting the dealer take on such a potentially involved task since your car is still under warranty.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Good advice.
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! Since both motors are located in the washer jug, it does sound like you are either plugged or it has come unhooked.
Of course this will be covered under warranty,but if you would like instructions I can help you at least check the nozzle. You could diconnect the hose and see if the pump will push water out of the hose.
Let me know!